Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

BipolarPenguin
Senior Contributor

New to the forums

Hi, I'm BipolarPenguin!

I have Bipolar Disorder type 2, which means I have mainly had manic episodes and only really one or two depressive episodes.

And... I love Penguins!

It was either BipolarPenguin or BipolarMeerkat 😛 I thought BipolarBear would be too obvious.

I'm hoping to use the forums as a way of sharing some of my experiences, but I'm not too sure how to do so within the guidelines.

I've read a couple of posts which seem to kind of be on the edge of things.

So, as an autistic person who would love some clarity... how do I share my pretty (some would say shocking) experiences from while I've been manic on the forums without violating the guidelines?

Hope some of you can help and look forward to talking to some of you!

~BipolarPenguin 🙂

EDIT: To give some more context as to why I would want to share my experiences... it's because I was in a pretty bad place back then (a "something's gone wrong" you might say) and I did some pretty bad things and I want to reflect on them with my current healthy mindset and lifestyle in mind. I want to tell people about how bipolar can manifest so they can see it in themselves too and even if they can't stop themselves like I couldn't... maybe they won't feel as much shame as I did for the year or so after each manic episode if they have someone to relate to.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: New to the forums

Hi there @BipolarPenguin , 

I'm tyme - the Forums Community Lead.

Judging by your post, I think I have to introduce you to @Ilovepenguins !

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing a little about yourself.

A good place to start is to familiarise yourself with the Community Guidelines (it sounds like you have read them already - good on you!). The guidelines fall under three main sections:

1) SAFETY

2) RESPECT

3) ANONYMITY

When sharing your story we ask that members do not share anything that may be triggering for others to read. This may include self-harm methods, disordered eating behaviours, specific details about traumatic events etc.

Something to think about when sharing is:

1) Is it helpful? i.e will it help the community?

2) Is it safe? - i.e people who read it won't be easily triggered

3) Is it inspirational? i.e. will it engender hope to those who read it?

4) Is it necessary? i.e whatever you share should have a purpose behind it e.g. are you sharing your story so people can relate and connect with you? Are you sharing it so you can get other people's perspectives?

If you post anything that is even potentially triggering, add a trigger warning i.e. Trigger Warning.

Also, if you post about self-harm or suicidal ideation, please let the community know whether you are safe for now e.g. I'm safe for now.

I hope I haven't given you too much information.

Please let us know if you want more clarity.

It might also help to know that ALL posts go through moderation. That means, our moderation tool will pick up any post that may not align with the guidelines. If this is the case, moderators will email you to let you know and support with the necessary steps.

Happy posting!

Hi @BipolarPenguin Love the name 👍

As for sharing within the guidelines - keep it simple. Don't disclose explicit detail or any info that could be identifiable. Other than that - maybe connect with some other members in the social threads to start you off. Welcome to the forums.

@Zoe7 @tyme Thank you so much for replying to my post! (I know it's your job basically but I still appreciate it!!)

Is it okay for me to talk about my experiences if they are somewhat illegal? Like trespassing and accidentally stealing things?

[I think from just writing that down I've realised I'm probably better off using a mixture of a psychologist and the forums.]

I have recently moved states and I need to get a new GP, psychiatrist and psychologist. I still have scripts for my medication and I am taking my medication regularly as I should, so all good there...

I just recently have been wondering if talking about my experiences somewhere would be good for me rather than just ruminating on them occasionally before bed (worst time to do it people!).

I think I will check out the social spaces like you suggested tyme. 

We'll see how things go! 🙂

Not my job to reply @BipolarPenguin Just a member like you 👍

What I would suggest - as this is an open forum - you only write what you are comfortable with and more importantly, that could not be used in any legal sense. That way everyone is safe, including you. There are of course some minor things we may do (or have done) that we are not proud of but in sharing those experiences we can do so without detail.

Thanks for asking @BipolarPenguin .

In terms of discussing 'illegal things', it would not be appropriate if you are wanting to engage in these illegal activities now, or in the near future.

However, you may want to post, "I remember a time when I was feeling manic. I ended up going into a shop and stealing." 

You wouldn't need to go into all the details. Alternatively, you can just say, "When I felt manic, I did things that were illegal".

If you plan of posting such posts, you may want to email it through to moderators to have a look first: team@saneforums.org

We might be able to guide you that way.

Hello @BipolarPenguin and welcome. I'm diagnosed bipolar too... perhaps bipolar 1. I've done some stuff I'm not proud of, that I wouldn't choose to repeat.

A lot of people have their own thread - there are some social threads - and you might like to chime in on a thread called Let`s talk about Bipolar . 

I'll look forward to seeing you around.

Hi @BipolarPenguin 

Welcome to the forums. 

I too have bipolar 2 but spend most of my time in depressive episodes. I have also done some highly inappropriate and illegal things while manic. Things I’m definitely not proud of. But I guess a lot of us have.

The antipsychotic that I’m on has helped minimise the mania and now I just get really happy and invincible! I just need to get the depression sorted. 

Anyhow I hope you find this a great community.

Thanks for the intro @tyme!

Hi @BipolarPenguin welcome! 

You've had an awesome response thus far, regarding the safe ways to post your experiences 😀 I'm keen to help you unpack and listen to those experiences when you're happy to share them.

I live with ADHD now, but have been labelled bipolar in the past-amongst other labels and can relate to not being able to control my impulsive behaviours in the past, some detrimental to my safety and the law as you've mentioned. 

Yes! I love penguins too! My house is full of penguin nik naks haha when did you discover your love for penguins?

Hey @BipolarPenguin ,

How are things going for you? I love your profile pic.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance