Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Heidi8
Casual Contributor

Newbie: F46 trying to comprehend new diagnosis

Hi, I’m new here.  This is my first post and I’m feeling completely overwhelmed.  I’m posting out of desperation… 

I’ve struggled with depression all my life following childhood trauma.  But just recently I’ve been diagnosed with DID.  The diagnosis has hit me really hard.  Truthfully, I guess it does explain my experiences of losing time.  But I’m really struggling to accept that I have other personalities that are unknown to me!!

In my mind it is about the worst possible diagnosis, but probably that’s because of how it’s portrayed in movies etc.  I don’t think it’s anything like that in my life (but it’s hard to be sure).  I feel completely lost.  I don’t know who I am.  I don’t know how to move forward.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?  How have you come to terms with this diagnosis?  Have you had any success in reducing the amount of time you lose?  I don’t even know how to describe or discuss many of the symptoms I struggle with.  Has anyone been down this path and can maybe help me navigate it?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Newbie: F46 trying to comprehend new diagnosis

@Heidi8  👋🏼 Welcome to the Forum. How are you feeling today?

Hi and welcome, @Heidi8 , it's good to have you here 🙂

I don't have DID, but you can type "DID" or "alters" or "dissociation" or other terms into the Search bar above to find threads on those topics that may help. 

An important forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply.

I hope you find the forums supportive...

I’m struggling to be honest. But thanks for asking

Hi @Heidi8

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment, and want to commend you on reaching out. 

I don't have experience with DID, but hope I'm able to point you in the right direction for some resources that could be useful for you. 

This discussion features input from some members about their experiences with DID. 

This post recommends some books on DID, if you might be interested in reading more about it. 

I'm also going to tag some members who may be open to sharing their insights: @Fluttershy1 @The-red-centaur

thanks for your message!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance