Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

HenryX
Community Guide

Recovering from our Lowest of Lows.

Hello @Former-Member , @Adge , @Shaz51 , @Judi9877 , @outlander , @Snowie , @Zoe7 , @frog , @eth , @MDT , @pinklollipop15 , @NatureLover , @Sophia1 , @LostAngel , @Gwynn , @Teej , @Faith-and-Hope , @Mazarita , @Emelia8 , @Anastasia 

and any other interested members

There is an Online Peer Group Chat planned for next

Thursday 17 February 22

on

Recovering from our Lowest of Lows.

Thought that we may be able to establish some discussion prior to the event. Possibly stimulate thoughts of some ideas that we have used that have been useful and that may be of help to others.

Any other thoughts?

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Recovering from our Lowest of Lows.

Hi @Former-Member , @Adge@Shaz51@Judi9877@outlander@Snowie@Zoe7@frog@eth@MDT@pinklollipop15@NatureLover ,

@Sophia1, @Jacques , @LostAngel , @Gwynn , @Teej , @Faith-and-Hope , @Mazarita . @Emelia8 , @Anastasia 

Have half a dozen supports but not a lot of activity. What are those things, qualities, attributes, interventions and kicks up the a##s, that have nudged us, pushed us, encouraged us through those really rough patches that have just seemed insurmountable.

Some of us may feel that we are not up to responding and maybe that is the time that we need the most encouragement to do so, even if not for ourselves, but for others for whom we care. Do you know how I know?

Sometimes, like this evening, when I have simply allowed myself the freedom to enjoy the influence of the substance that allows for the removal of that inhibition that seems to have a strangle hold on self expression and even physical action.

Sometimes we simply need to find a break between where we are and where we want to be, or think that we may be able to be.

Oddly enough, this evening, I have been looking at videos on catching water from the air in regions where water, or lack thereof, impacts the life of so many people. Some examples are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkV2MxofpfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsNNp9N2v9Y

Some of these videos are inspirational and take me, in my imagination, to places like my own town, in an area near dessert, with the people and students. The thought of encouraging them to take positive action instead of useless protest, invigorates my sense of purpose. These are the sorts of things that take me from the lowest lows to a sense of recovery and a movement upwards and forwards to higher highs.

A few thoughts

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

@HenryX wrote:

Have half a dozen supports but not a lot of activity. What are those things, qualities, attributes, interventions and kicks up the a##s, that have nudged us, pushed us, encouraged us through those really rough patches that have just seemed insurmountable.

Well, it's certainly not listening to Chumbawamba, haha.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQhbt2c8JqU&ab_channel=Cherryslurpee777

Hey @Gwynn 

That brings a smile to my face. Not fond of rap style sound, but I really like that particular piece.

Cheers

@HenryX 

I don't feel I have anything to add @HenryX ... my cup is empty I am sorry.

I remember the first time in hospital with my boy wondering if he'd recover or if I'd lose him, the feeling of me tethering on the edge. It's where I am now, except it's not just my boy, it feels like every ounce of my being is challenged at present.

I wish I had a switch to move forward

Sending you loving hugs my friend @Anastasia 

xxxooo 

You are so lovely @BlueBay thank you x

my pleasure @Anastasia 

love helping friends in need

i care so much about you and others on here 

always here for you lovely xxxooo

Hi HenryX,

"Thought that we may be able to establish some discussion prior to the event. Possibly stimulate thoughts of some ideas that we have used that have been useful and that may be of help to others."

Just wanted to say that I think this is a fantastic idea. Thinking, in advance, of ways to help us all cope, when things are at their worst, could make so much difference when we hit a crisis or very hard time. I've never thought about how to try to solve each emotional problem I have until it happens, and then it's so hard to do. If we could have some thoughts already up our sleeves, it could help so much. 

I'm not sure if I have a lot to add as far as ideas go, as I've never been great at solving my emotional problems when they come along. Joining a support group is very helpful, I've found, plus finding a good doctor and/or psychologist has helped me as well, when I've been lucky enough to find them. 

In a self-help book that I have, there is something that has helped me at times, which is to say that our feelings are not facts, and when bad feelings hit, to try to continue on with life as normally as possible, trying not to give too much attention to feelings if you know they are not based in fact, eg. if you are depressed but know there is not a particular reason for it at that time. In a nutshell, the idea is to take care of yourself, and just keep putting one foot in front of the other (i.e. doing all the things that need doing in your life), and eventually the feelings are likely to pass. I haven't explained this perfectly at all, but that is the general idea, and it has helped me to some extent. Hope it can help others.

I think that's about all I have to add, but I am so happy to see this thread because I think it has great potential to help many people.

Best wishes,

LiveInHope1

Hello @LiveInHope1 

and other members participating and those visiting the thread

Thank you so much for your observations @LiveInHope1 . I think that they are more pertinent than you may believe. As I was reading what you wrote, I was also thinking,

"This is hitting the nail right on the head with a nice square blow".

Then I was amused when you said,

"I'm not sure if I have a lot to add as far as ideas go ...."

and

"I haven't explained this perfectly at all, but that is the general idea, and it has helped me to some extent. Hope it can help others."

Please do not think that restating your observations is in any sense a criticism. Rather, I hope that if people read what I am writing, they will, possibly, even out of inquisitiveness, go back and read again what you have written.

Today, on the two hour drive back from Geraldton, I was thinking that it is so easy to think that our life is measured in terms of where we have been, the past, rather than, working with what I/we have got right now and making the best of what is in front of us

"and just keep putting one foot in front of the other (i.e. doing all the things that need doing in your life), and eventually the feelings are likely to pass."

Certainly that is not all there is to it, and it is not always as easy to do as it is to say. But I do believe that what you have offered is a very significant contribution which others, I hope, will follow up with their particular ideas about

"Recovering from our Lowest of Lows."

With Much Appreciation and Very Best Wishes, @LiveInHope1 

and to Everyone Else on the Thread

@HenryX 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance