Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Lochie07
Casual Contributor

Struggling with life

Hi everyone. Hope you can help me with ideas . I am a new member. Retired and struggling to find a reason to get up in the morning. Have been on medication but did nothing . Sleeping poorly , always feeling tired . I should be happy , have a great relationship and am financially secure . Life just seems to be too much effort 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Struggling with life

Hi @Lochie07 ,

Thank you for reaching out here on the forums. 

I once found myself in a similar situation - financially well-off, secure, popular... but I was miserable., had trouble sleeping and simply couldn't be bothered with life.

After various medications over a number of years, I finally found one that made a difference (not immediately...it was gradual). Medication + psychotherapy allowed me to find purpose and hope in life. I used to think seeing a psychologist was only if you had a MI, but the more speak to people, the more I realise that having a psychologist even to just debrief, helps EVERYONE!

So now, I speak to a psychologist on a regular basis - not because I'm struggling, but more so to debrief.

Also, I alway believed that the goal in life was to be happy and if I wasn't 'happy' then something was wrong with me. The more I strove for this happiness, the more miserable I became. Over the course of months and years, I realised that happiness was a secondary thing. I needed to manage other aspects in my life with the hope of having satisfaction and fulfilment - not necessary 'happiness'.

Today, I am genuinely content. I may not be alway happy, but I am definitely satisfied and content with life.

Do you have a psychologist or a support network you can talk to? Having a non-judgmental person to speak to can really make a difference.

tyme

Thank you for your reply . I have tried medication but it didn't seem to help . Tried a couple of psychologists but that didn't really seem to resonate with me . Trying some natural alternatives like St John's wort . Feeling a bit desperate lately

@Lochie07 ,

Medication is not always the answer. It would be good to speak to your GP about various medications and alternatives.

For me, medication was to help me with my anxiety and insomnia which impacted my depression. However, my underlying mental health condition does not require medication at all!

I used medication to allow my body to receive and take in the work I was doing in therapy. Also, therapy for me was not about focusing on my MH label, but rather, it looked at how I could utilise my strengths to overcome obstacles.

For me, recovery was not about being symptom free. Instead, it was about being able to manage symptoms and function in society.

I'm sorry you things you have tried have not worked. I encourage you to persist. 

Consider where you are now in life, and where you'd like to see the ideal you. Then, consider the stepping stones required to reach that ideal you.

What you are describing is a journey. A journey of ups and downs. A journey of discovery. While not pleasant for now, it will not always remain that way.

There is hope.

Sitting with you,

tyme

@Lochie07 . I highly recommend counselling with a good Psychologist.  They can help you find your "mojo" again.  Help you rediscover old interests and find new interests. 

Motivation has always been my biggest struggle with my Disorders.  So I take things slowly.  I'm not a morning person. So I take my dog for a walk later in the day. I try and plan what I need at the shops,  so it is just one trip for groceries,  medications,  etc. On hard days,  I just do 1 chore around the house.  Normally the dishes,  or laundry.  Other days I can do more. 

I keep in touch with my best friend by phone and text messages.  My only other friends live far away,  so we no longer meet in person. 

Can you think of services/charities in your area that you could help with?  Helping kids with their reading at school.  Working in the school or local kindergarten or nursing home with their gardening.  Volunteering at an animal shelter.  Helping older folk by mowing their lawns,  etc.  Volunteering not just helps the community,  but it gives a real sense of purpose and belonging to the giver. 

So maybe start with that. 

Something similar happened to me once.

I had chronic fatigue, insomnia and impotency among other symptoms.

I also had depression and HIV and the fatigue was attributed to the HIV but it turned out that I had an iron overload condition called haemochromotosis. It's most common in men with a British or Irish background, being genetic.

I supposed I'd say I wouldn't say a sympthon such as depressive episodes is always a primary condition and there could be another underlying condition like haemochromotosis contributing to one's overall health. I'd ask a GP if my tiredness could be coming from somewhere else and could my depression be a side effect.

Good luck. 

Hi and welcome, @Lochie07  and @crashempire , it's good you've joined.

Feel free to type any subject into the search bar above to find threads on that topic.

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply.

I hope you find the forums supportive.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance