Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Velvet_VanDetta
Peer Guide

Well Hello!

Hi everyone, I'm @Velvet_VanDetta and I am a new member of the forum fam!

I'm looking forward to engaging with and learning from so many amazing community members, safe in the knowledge that we are have one thing in common... experience in issues around mental health.

My own experience has spanned over more than 20 years and I have witnessed the ebb and flow of health and illness and I hope to share these experiences with all of you 😀

A fun fact about me...

I am learning Burlesque! 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Well Hello!

Hello @Velvet_VanDetta welcome to the Sane forums, it is such a welcoming community and has many different forums and contribution sections, events, topic Tuesdays and special discussions and so much more. Let me know if you need any assistance navigating the platform. 

We look forward to you being apart of the community. 😀

Thank you @MissLil 😀

I am looking forward to getting to know my way around!

VVD

Hi @ArraDreaming ! ✌️

@Velvet_VanDetta I loooooooove Burlesque and would love to give it a go! How did you get into it?

@Ilovepenguins Hi!

I have also loved and envied the courage of Burlesque performers for years! 

I was aware that there were classes in my area, but it felt like far too big a leap of faith and bravery for me to try it.  But then recently I met someone who is taking the classes and she raved about the inclusivity of the instructor and other classmates, and possibly most importantly, offered to meet me before my first class and walk in with me 😊

I was also hesitant due to having mobility issues but there is such a thing a CHAIR Burlesque! It has been one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

Have you checked if there are any classes being run in your area?

VVD

I take my hat off to you @Velvet_VanDetta for finding the courage and confidence to pursue your interest! I completely understand how daunting it can be putting yourself into a vulnerable position, especially when it comes to something so sensual and intimate, having spent some time in the adult industry.

How awesome is it that you found someone who was so willing to help and empower you to attend your first class, and then to find that the class was so inclusive 💜 

I actually never thought to look until you asked! Now that I have looked, it appears that any kind of classes are at least an hour and a half away 😕  BUT! I did find a pole studio in the next town over. Pole, whilst not as awesome as burlesque and waaay harder, is something I have been wanting to learn since a friend of mine got into it many years ago-her upper arm strength is incredible, as are her bruises 😂 I've got some bingo wings I could definitely fill with some muscle hahahaha

Thanks so much for telling me about your experiences and empowering me to look into classes! Your bravery is so admirable 😊

How wonderful that you have found the pole classes! And you are so right about it being harder than burlesque! I can't believe the strength of those dancers! Incredible!

I really hope that you do find that courage to give it a go and that it is just as empowering for you!

VVD
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance