Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

DogLover123
New Contributor

Art Group Therapy

Hello everyone,

I’m new here. I’m recovering from complex PTSD and doing relatively well but I’m struggling with loneliness and yearning for my parents who died when I was young. 
I was wondering whether an art therapy group might help.

Has anyone here been to an art therapy group - what’s it like? 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Art Group Therapy

Hey the @DogLover123 . Praise be all dogs. Not art therapy itself, but I can attest to the therapeutic nature of catharsis and expression. I'd say a lot as well for the social sides. It can also be a way to immortalize our loved ones as they tend to live on in the background of our imaginations. Honestly, I've often thought that more art should be more core school/life curriculum. 'Tis the age of communication, after all.

Welcome, @DogLover123  , it's good to have you here! 

I haven't been to a specific art therapy class, but all through my life, drawing and painting has helped my mental health. Both to express dark things and to heal from them. I did also attend an art class for a while - it wasn't specifically a therapy art class, just a class for the community run by a private lady, but it also helped. 

I would definitely recommend it. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply to them. 

I hope you find the forums a supportive place to be. 

Good Greetings

Art Therapy is gorgeous 

There are beautiful supplies available to explore (Dana Fox is the author of some lovely watercolour books)

I really hope you find ways to explore Art Therapy as it is so brilliant 

Hello @DogLover123. I'm also recovering from PTSD and suffering from loneliness. My parents lived a long life and died when I was a mature adult. I miss them everyday so I know how you feel. I just wanted to say Hello and let you know that the people here are great and are pleased to try to support you when you need it, as they are able. I hope you're alright. Take care.

I haven’t attended an art therapy group but do find art… and creativity good for me. Helps to express what’s inside that words can’t tell. 

Hi @DogLover123 ,

I’ve been to a DBT art therapy group. It was good to connect with others who had MH challenges and discussed it freely in a safe, facilitated space.

On the other hand, I attended painting group sessions (non MH specific). I found this much more refreshing and useful. I could focus on the art rather than my MH, which in turn benefited my MH.

Hence, depending on what you are looking for, there are pros and cons to art therapy groups as opposed to any art groups.

I think it’s also important to acknowledge that you’ve made the first step in connecting here on the forums. That takes a lot of strength in itself.

tyme

Hi @DogLover123 Thank you for reaching out. I can empathise with those feelings of yearning as I lost my Dad recently. Still miss him every day and wish I could talk to him and get his advice on so many things! 

I have heard art therapy can be very healing. I don't know where you are located, but putting this SANE create page here in case it's of use. 💝

I love Dana Fox's books too @Mellymead ! 

@DogLover123 I love the idea of art therapy. I have been looking into doing an art therapy course for a few years now as it's something that really interests me. My friend who has bipolar goes to art classes (not art therapy classes) and gets so much out of them. She has produced some brilliant work too. 

hugs to you

hanami 💮

Good Greetings 

I have been reading about Art Therapy in the context of the actual experience of doing it not as a means to an end so to speak like being present and aware and doing the activity with enthusiasm  - the creative manifestation of awakened doing

I would be fascinated to read what other people have experienced with being present and doing art

thank you so very much 

kind regards 

melly 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance