Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Crisis tips. TW suicide

Hey

What are people's lived experience with tips for when you can feel yourself slipping to crisis point?  I am safe and ok.  What do you do when you have tried all the generic self help tips and nothing is helping to ease the feelings/memories?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Crisis tips. TW suicide

Hey @Former-Member welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear that things are tipping into crisis point for you, but very glad that you're safe - thanks for making sure you let us know that in your post. 

To answer your question - I think for me it was always about talking it through with someone. Either a close/trusted friend, or a mental health professional. And it took me way too long to decide I needed to do that, I lived with suicidal ideation (SI) for years before I actually sought help. Didn't think I was that unwell... hindsight is 20/20 eh? Do you have any ongoing therapy support or a close person you feel safe to confide in? 

Another option is helplines. If you're in crisis mode, calling Lifeline or SCBS is your best bet, they're 24/7, or call 000 if you're in immediate danger. For the not-quite-crisis-but-still-really-struggling moments, there's a couple you could try. SANE have one, it's available 10am-8pm weekdays on 1800 187 263. We also have an ongoing telehealth service available, you can find more info at that link as well. Beyond Blue also have a helpline, and there's a couple of lists of other options here and here

Other things to try: 

Distraction - for me, the SI wasn't constant, it would often come and go in waves. So finding ways to keep my mind busy during a strong SI wave was incredibly helpful.

Community - connect with friends and family, find support groups, or even just chatting with the lovely folks here on the forums is an awesome way to keep yourself safe. 

Build a safety plan - When we're super distressed, our frontal lobe can go offline somewhat, meaning logic/decision-making goes out the window and it can feel impossible to think of things to do to support ourselves. Building a safety plan can help by having all your coping tools, resources, and forms of support laid out already so you can just refer back to it when needed. You can find tools for building a safety plan here and here

You mention struggling with memories that are coming up. Are you experiencing flashbacks at all? You can find tips for coping with flashbacks here

Remember, feelings are only visitors - they never last forever. They don't need to define us. I hope this helps you to find some new things to add to your toolkit when it comes to coping with those harder moments 💜

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello, thank you for the feedback.  I have tried the helpline chats, but not the SANE one.  I tend to not phone because I need to avoid hospital.  I don't have anyone to discuss these thoughts with.  I have reached out but found no one was available as far as professional assistance, so I am alone with this.  The hospital tried medication for me, however it made my feelings more intense and were unable to find anything to help.   I know this is up to me but I am finding it harder to cope and all I want is for these feelings to pass.  I am doing the work

Hi @Former-Member ,

Sorry to hear things are tough right now.

Can you think of things that keep you going? 

You are not alone.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes, but the feeling is so strong. I have failed attempts earlier this year. I battle the feelings every day

I battle them every day too... @Former-Member .. Actually, I won't say I battle them anymore. I just have them and let them be.

Thoughts are not the sum of you. Thoughts come and go. Do what's right for you.

"Keep on keeping on"

No quick fixes.  Each day decide again to keep tryi Ng.  🙏 Screenshot_20230812_033437_Gallery.jpgng. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance