Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A journey through cancer.

I am fighting suicide at the moment. I had to go hospital again in ageneral ward & the nurses reminded how "single" i am & gave me a male nurse who was abusive & rude. I do not know how long i can hang on this time!

Dear Seeker I am real glad to hear your fighting things and hanging in there. I imagine this tough however, if you need extra support and want to talk please call lifeline 131114. Regards Artaud

Given what I know about "in care" experiences it is a marvel you have made it so far in any shape or form. Hold to your dignity of uniqueness. I never read "The Power of One" but feel for you. Do what you can to get your needs met. I am sorry I cant do more.

Hi @Seeker I am so glad you stumbled upon these forums and were able to share your story. Welcome 🙂

I am so sorry to hear about the injustices you have had to endure over the years, at the hands of the mental health care system and other govt organisations... as a mental health professional myself I really cringe when I hear stories like this... These services have been set up to support and care for people who need help, so I am sure as a client it must be so bewildering and quite jarring encounter certain staff who do not fit the bill. I am glad to hear you are keeping them accountable. Good on you for that, truly.

Reading your posts it is clear that you are a fighter, and I love that. You mentioned above that you have been battling thoughts of suicide, and are currently in hospital for a period of time? It really sucks that you have had a bad experience with those nurses (again, I am cringing)... but I wonder, are there any other members of staff that you have encountered who seem more trustworthy and compassionate, that you could confide in? Just to help you stay safe, I really encourage you to voice these thoughts out loud to a trusted member of staff... They should take you seriously, and offer you assistance. Can I ask, do you have any strategies that you find helpful, when these thoughts arise for you?

I am not sure whether this is helpful for you, but if you are stuck for ideas, you might like to check out this post by @Crazy_Bug_Lady - her psychologist came up with the idea of creating a 'coping box' to help manage the fog of depression, and also thoughts of suicide. I thought it was a kinda cool idea... Right off the bat, here are two numbers you might like to keep handy (or maybe add to your own coping box!) for the future. Please remember you can call these numbers anytime, day or night, if you need someone to talk to.

Lifeline 13 11 14

Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467

@SeekerI am so glad you stumbled upon these Forums, and I hope you find it a safe place to come and 'hang out'. Please remember that this community cares about you, and we are here for you.

Stay safe today,

Mosaic.

Hi Seeker,

Hearing about your experience makes me mad but dont let your dignity or self-worth be eroded and keep fighting.

Have you tried getting in touch with the Offical Visitor?

If you arn't aware the "Offical Visitor Program for mental health aims to safeguard standards of treatment and care and the rights and dignity of people being treated...."

What sort of cancer do you have if you dont mind the question?

Im guessing you already tried complaining to the head of nursing dept or patient liason officer regarding your treatment and they didnt listen?

Have you considered filming your mistreatment/staff abusive interactions,perhaps even with an audio tape?

Unfortunately sometimes people with some mental illnesses or a childhood background of abuse have difficulties expresing current abuses eloquently and this causes them to be not believed or dismissed as "delusional" etc therefor i hope you can find a way to either document/record it or alternatively,as someone mentioned, i hope you can find a kind and compassonate nurse to talk to about the concerns.

I am battling thyroid cancer myself I can hear you... I would be more than happy to have a chat defiantly sound like you are entitled to compensation 😞

I'm sure it's been mentioned but the medical ombudsman?

I dont have any nurses or staff that i get along with, so i dont have anyone. I dont have any family ro friends that could help either. I tried to complain but i just get the union cover up with blantant overt lies. I over heard one nurse say that i am on a union blacklist. the abuse & ill-treatment has been going on since i was a teenager. I tried the official visitors they can only help when you are an inpatient. Even my Royal commission conseller are in on the "neglect" & discriminating serivce. I wont get going to coselling no more as i dont want to be humiliated anymore. Even tonight i got thumped again down the shop i know even with evidence the cops wont help, not worth the risk of going to graylands. My human rights have been abused all my life I have a stack of evidence to support this. They have even diliberately over dosed me with medication as a pay back for geting a abusive social worker sacked. Sometimes i cant control the hate in me towards health care workers.

Hello Seeker, 

I am sorry to hear that you have not found someone within the services to listen to your experiences, and I admire that you are still trying to keep them accountable. I'm glad to hear that you looked into @ivana suggestion of the official visitor, however I understand that his is not currently an option for you, as you are not an inpatient. Have you considered what @Bec1985 suggested by speaking with the medical ombudsmen?

Although you don't feel comfortable seeking support with the services I am glad to hear you have found a voice here, the community is here to support you.

Take Care- Snowflake

Sorry to hear that you are not doing well. @Seeker It is outrageous how many people fall through the cracks.

There is not a level playing field in the world.

The Royal Commission is a machine for PR .. I met one commissioner a couple months ago but not yet seen properly, they cant really help me either .. not bring back my dead family members, fix my living family or fix my health.

My father felt and was betrayed by everybody in his life too. I am not sure what i could have done to help him. I have felt guilty about it but was only 11 when he died and it had taken years to figure out what was going on.

If another "nice" well dressed lady patronises me with .. "oh family is difficult" but cant come up with anything better I feel like I could "punch their lights out". For me I am lucky as I have managed to keep things between me and MH services positive and have a little bit of choice and can walk away.

I just tell you little bits of my story as a distraction. I dont know what else I can do. And maybe you can get some sense of relief and quietly laugh at a well educated snooty classical piano teacher having an angry side and using language rather than fists.

Keep posting.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance