Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A long rave

@Mazarita @Adge @outlander @MDT @eth @Shaz51 looking for advice guys. my step son is in a public mental health facility. they give him his medication daily, but that's where it stops, in terms of caring for the patient. he wants and we want a proper mental health care plan. we've tried for 2 weeks now to get him transferred to where his psychiatrist  is. the doctor at the hospital  never phones or his not there when we call. is there an easier way around this? and is this normal for this kind of no response from them?

Hi @Adge  sorry to hear this week has been such a difficult one for you.  So many things to deal with all at once.   Can you block the person's number on your phone?  It must be awful hearing from them.

Sorry to hear you've been thru something similar @octavia 

There's a pedo in my family too, who was grooming my 10 yr old child at one stage.  We got away just in time I think.  My mother defended him (he's her step-son) so I had no contact with her for about 15 years.

I was also assaulted at age 10.  So I think I can understand what you both feel.

Some things change us forever.

@octavia  sorry I've been busy and didn't reply sooner.  It's really hard to get any communication with hospital staff if you are not listed as the person's next of kin (which I imagine might be your step-son's mother).  Hospitals are pretty strict and unreasonable with this rule.  I've had a few experiences where I was the only one able to visit someone but they wouldn't talk to me and n.o.k. was interstate and not supportive.   I wish I had advice for you, can hear the frustration in your situation.

@eth it's not that. his parents have been screaming for a call back. still nothing like 

that's dreadful @octavia 

The only thing I can think of is to ask the nurses when the doctors do their rounds and to be there at that time to catch them.  It sucks that they are making it so difficult.  My family had a similar experience most times I was in hospital.  So frustrating for all involved.  I wish I could help more.  

The public system is like navigating a foreign city @octavia

I think it sounds like you know what he needs which is excellent.

Thats good. Once he is out of the facility you can look at your own ways of going about it.

Why is he in the facility? On his own volition?

yeah. he had a psychotic episode. had to call ambulance and police to take him. they let him out, but he took himself back the next day

Well at least he is getting help he needs @octavia

(cool name btw)

Just give it time maybe

@eth @MDT we can't get him transferred until the doc rings my son's psychiatrist. it's been 2 weeks now. it's just so hard to see him go through it.  there is so many illegal drugs going in there, people stealing stuff, it's like the lunatics are running  place. there's no doctor at anytime to call or see when your there. where's the mental health care plan? where's progress? it literally is lock them up, throw away the key

Yeah i remember people smoking there @octavia

I guess th best thing you can do as his mum ix to reassure him and always be in contact.

I strongly suggest you start calling up the doctor. Just keep pushing them and eventually they will have to respond or act.

But at the same time remember that the system in australia is way better than it what it used to be and also what it is elsewhere around the world.

Btw can you get the regular psychiatrist to contact the hospital?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance