Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Neb
Senior Contributor

Re: P.T.S.D

Towards the end of my career, the concept of debriefing was happening. For me debriefing was usually a chardy and a cigarette after work. But in a truely weird sense, debriefing often was laying out the deceased patient. That was the very last thing one could do for your patient, it had that sense of closure and love. I hated how the trend was wrapping in a paper wrapper, that seemed disrespectful to me!
Loopy
Senior Contributor

Cassy, Thank you for your kind reply, no one knows just how long it taks for the dredded P.T.S.D to rear its ugly head. It can take one or a thousand occurrances. Your partner obviously coped longer and was not aware of any signs, I they actually surfaced earlier. I certainly was not aware until I walked into that bloody solid, invisable wall, either way once it happens life as you know it ceases and your world is turned upside down. I am happy for you that here is a special bond between yourself and partner. I wish him well. Question has he had help from his work mates of the Department.

Neb
Senior Contributor

Hey Loopy, how do you quantify pay....well in this world were those do get least , and yet entertainers appear to get well paid once they have made it.....folk want to laugh, not being indebted to those who saved them.

On a lighter note, was going to work on Boxing Day and got caught up in a police drag net, I asked would he breath a lyse me, as I had not had any alcohol all week seeing I worked. He said, just drive off luv and don't smile, but merry Christmas from s**t kicker to another......sweet eh!
Cazzie
Senior Contributor

Hey Loopy, sorry I didn't get back sooner. As you say, it took quite a while for the PTSD to really become apparent. It took two years for him to accept that continuing to work wasn't an option. As for assistance from colleagues: once my DH went off work and it was known that it was "stress related" they stayed away in droves. They were all terrified they'd catch it. Even his boss denied the fact that I'd told him two years earlier that he (my DH) was in trouble.

I am hopeful that as a community we are getting better at recognising trauma...because if we can recognise it earlier we can lessen its impact over time..

Just shows how important it is to keep records of conversations in diary notes, potentially electronuc copy as backup, so when push comes to shove and work denies conversation with carer, bingo you have your diary to refer to..
Loopy
Senior Contributor

Cazzy, no one took notice of me until I institured civil legal action against, The State Government, Law Department and finally the Police Department. They made it so difficult I am sure they thought I would just go away, But I refused to. That is probably the reason I am ignored.

Loopy
Senior Contributor

Sandy                    I kept copious notes, two of everything prior to my court case after which everything vanished. Strange that.

Good thing you had those notes Loopy, I had an issue many many years ago with workplace bullying overseas. I was lucky to have a great HR manager who took immediate action with my manager and recommended I keep a work diary to counteract manager's unreasonable demands. It was very affirming to have work on my side, my boss was counselled and had to do some training..in the end, my diary or running task list was all I needed to remind him he was being unreasonable. He was a tricky character but he learned. And I had my first taste of being assertive in the workplace!

Hi Loopy,

Welcome (tardily, on my part) to the forum!

I completely agree with you about the PTSD rearing its head and sweeping all else before it. It sounds like you have been through hell. I admire your courage and tenacity for persisting in the civil suit. The law, and so many of those mechanisms, supposedly there to right wrongs and deliver justice are too often used to further abuse the "victim" (I prefer the term survivor). The law's an ass, and justice is surely blind - like all those who don't want to see it or believe the reality, because it is frankly too damned excruciating to face. Easier by far to blame and demonise the sufferer.

Take care, it sounds like you are doing that pretty well.

Kind regards,

Kristin

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance