Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: The last time

Thank you for responding @Former-Member I respect your view. I was of the scientific belief system before my New Age phase.

But some things just can't be proven with science.

How do we prove love exists? We feel it but can we prove that it exists? (some of the thoughts that I entertain myself with lol).

Any buzzword used with out substance will seem empty.

@Former-Member 

Your posts seem clear to me.

You "talk" straight.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I don't quite understand what you mean @Appleblossom  by any use of a buzzword without substance will seem empty. Did I make a comment that gave the impression that I think what you had to say seemed ingenuine or baseless? That's not what I intended if that is the case. 

Most people I speak to tend to say that I am too straight and too clear, too honest. 

@Former-Member Sorry.  I double thought your posts about "meaning". Realised I had mentioned it first and was more replying and keeping convo going.

No offence meant.

Some aspects of science have really kept me going.  I still try and get to the bottom of things re biology and physiology.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I prefer chemistry myself. Biology and physiology draws unnecessary attention to my gender dysphoria, which I have too much of as it is. I'm not in a place yet where I can deal with much attention being drawn towards my body. 

Chemistry though, I use regularly to make my own hygiene and cleaning products. Unfortunately I do have to be careful because when I am acutely unwell that can take on a rather dangerous presentation. Can't comment on that further though. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I guess it was rather obtuse to expect answers that don't just remind me of what I can't have. I mean no offense in saying that, it just seems to be the only response I get anymore. I was born with wings and I've spent my whole life having society and those who were supposed to be a carer or some other source of support, elder or guidance cut them off feather by feather. That is if whomever reads even understands that metaphor at all. 

My apologies @BlackOpal for not seeing your previous reply before. Personally, I consider psychology to be a field of science, as haphazard as it is, therefore emotions are at least in part as much a science because they make up a part of it. 

These past few months, especially this month, have been harsh on me psychologically. I can't provide details as far as why is concerned, all I can say is it has to do with my NDIS termination and the trauma that occurred whilst I was still a participant. I never realised how much of a detriment it was to my mental health, and particularly my self-esteem and self-worth it was until it was gone. Although to be fair, it is more a result of having spent most of my life under disability services. 

It took away the ability to develop functioning and trust in my own skills and abilities, and my own worth. Now engaging with daily functioning requirements only serves to be yet another source of intrusive complex trauma memories. I'm struggling to maintain what tiny amount of belief and hope I have left and the negligence towards my independent living skills and young adult development as a whole only serves to exacerbate the issue, as does not being able to participate in "normal adult activities" that I envisioned myself doing by now all those years ago. 

Not being able to do them means I have a rather excessive amount of downtime which is bad for my mental health. It is less troublesome for me to manage my mental illnesses what little I can to ensure they aren't at the acute level when I have healthy responsibilities and expectations to adhere to, and I am being stimulated mentally. When I'm not my brain defaults to fixating on what ought not be fixated on and I find it very challenging to not get trapped in my illnesses. 

I guess there's not really any point in complaining about it when there's nothing I can do about it. All I can say is that I tire of it and ill-fitting bandaid distractions. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I'll see myself out. 

Hi @Former-Member. I haven't had a chance to properly read through this thread and your posts until now. Once again I am thankful for your openness.

You mentioned that there is no point in complaining when there's nothing you can do about it anyway. I imagine your posts as being a snapshot of some of your experiences expressing yourself in the wider world. As I read your posts I don't feel they are the words of someone who is complaining. I feel words of suffering and distress from a person who wants to be heard, respected and understood. I have a sense that you have said the same kinds of things to support people (both formal and informal) over and over again, yet consistently being met with a lack of awareness and consideration. Sometimes when I have been in a situation when I have tried to use my voice with people who don't listen to or hear me, it has felt like a head vs wall match which only leaves me with incredible frustration, hopelessness, despair and huge feelings of being even more alone than before.

I too believe that what you have to offer is rare and I have huge amounts of respect for your willingness to speak about your experiences in such an expressive, honest way. I am especially drawn to your voice because I appreciate people who fight for the right to be authentic in a world and within systems that often seem to choose comfort and conformity over authenticity.

I would like to return your honesty and disclosure with some of my own. Sometimes I have found myself hesitating to reply to you. It is not because I don't want to get to know you but because I'm worried about making things worse for you. While I understand the depths of suffering from my own experiences and perspectives, it also feels so wrong to attempt to understand something of yours (your gender dysphoria) that I know I can't. However, the hesitation and slight discomfort I experience when wanting to reply to you feels tolerable to me, whereas I'm hearing that living in a world that rejects the you that you are is intolerable for you, which is so understandable.

I can imagine that feeling as if people might shy away from you can be a further blow to your self-esteem and feelings of self-worth. I think it is really brave to put yourself out there when you've had so many experiences of having "you" silenced, shut down, misunderstood, ignored, and worse. I want you to know that you're not rejected here too and that there is a place for you here if you'd like it. I'd like to continue to get to know you if you'd like to continue to share, and I'm sure there are others here who do too.

I'm genuinely thankful for the way you have put your thoughts and experiences out here. I really hope that there will come a time for you that it is safe to be yourself in this world.
Former-Member
Not applicable

See, the thing is I have always known that I am different and that others will not understand me. I have personality traits and cognitive functions that not many other people do and that creates disconnect. Do you believe in Jungian psychology @CheerBear?  I am an INTJ which is the second rarest personality type in the world. Because of this and the specific cognitive functions I have, I have been aware of my rarity and disconnected from others since I was a small child. 

As such, I am used to it and it doesn't bother or offend me. Being an introvert, I have no issue whatsoever with solitude and not being a part of the crowd, in fact I embrace it and I embrace that I am set apart from others. Being that I am an introvert, I am not concerned with being reassured, validated and understood by others because I can provide all of those things to myself in a far more genuine way. I hope that doesn't come across as rude, it is just the truth. 

As an INTJ, my dominant function is introverted intuition. Because of this I am rather hard to connect with, as I am typically always ahead of others because this is the most forward thinking function in Jungian psychology. This function also means that I communicate in a way that is strange to others who are not also intuitive types. This function, mixed with my other functions, means that I am very impressionistic and the way I view things is based on impression as opposed to strict reality/data. I don't pay much, if any attention to what things look like as is based in reality. 

This means that I notice things that most other people don't and that I view people differently. For example, I am not someone who will draw attention to your physical appearance, but I will notice how you behave and how authentic or phoney a person is. Being a dominant introverted intuitive means that I am very adept in making connections and seeing deeper meaning behind things, and my main objective is to make such connections and develop understanding of deeper meanings. 

Being that this function is introverted, most people never notice this about me and that is why there is rarely ever mutuality in conversation and understanding between myself and others. Instead they notice that I am adept at analysis and logical thinking skills, and that I am very good at assertive communication, as well as the fact that I am quite efficient at everything I do. All of that is due to my second cognitive function. 

The other thing that creates disconnect is my third cognitive function. People seem to be used to, and expecting of visible and externally expressed emotions. I am not like that because my feelings function is introverted, and as I wrote earlier, even I do not notice it much and I primarily use it as a moral compass. When people don't see the emotional reactions and responses that they perceive to "match" what I say, it is strange to them, and they assume that I am cold and have no real feelings, especially when my analytical skills are readily on show instead. 

That however is simply not true. I think today's society is very extraverted and has little acceptance of introverts and introversion. It seems difficult for a lot of people to grasp that just because I don't talk much about them, and do not have visible reactions or responses, it does not mean I am a robot. It simply means that I am not concerned with having my emotional side validated by other people, because why would I need such validation when I can already provide that myself. To a lot of people, not being on show emotionally is equivalent to not being willing to be vulnerable. In reality, it just makes no sense to my brain that I should put personal matters on show and expect validation for private and personal beliefs and so on that strictly only apply to me. 

Being an INTJ gives me a mysterious vibe towards others. Again, this does not bother me whatsoever and neither does the fact I am rare. However, the expectation from others that I should be bothered and disturbed by my own personality and how I function does concern me. I find it despicable and repulsive, in fact. 

As do I find the pathologisation of introversion in general. I simply do not understand why it is appropriate to force me to be social and always around others. Frankly, I could live on a deserted island with no one and it wouldn't disturb me in the slightest. And why should I be disturbed just because others find it weird and disturbing? That's their problem, not mine. I know what my social needs are and I don't care for having others dictate to me when they don't even know me, yet alone what my needs are and how to meet them. 

People always seem to speak to me in a way that shows that they expected me to not already know such information. It is very rare that I don't already know, especially when it is information about myself and things that impact me. Again, that isn't to honk my horn or sound arrogant. It is just part of how my brain works to always be ahead and to have a lot of knowledge of my own. 

So, you know, saying I could be this, I could be that, I would be great at doing this etc, all sounds trite to me because I already know and that is part of why my mental health is poor. Just because such things are true it does not mean they can be expressed. I find it puzzling that so many people seem utterly unable to come to that conclusion. 

I have had so many therapists in the past treat me like some kind of lab experiment because I have things they don't expect, like my self-awareness. I don't need to be told why I am the way I am or why I use the behaviours I do. I don't reach out to be conditioned and told what to do. I come to learn how to help myself. My knowledge and self-awareness disturbs people, especially professional people. So do my analytical skills. 

There's a reason why I don't bother seeing any anymore. Anyways, I've gone off on a tirade, as per usual. 

I found it interesting to read that you imagine my posts to be a snapshot of my experiences. A lot of people think that. I guess it makes more sense than what it actually is. But like I said, I'm not concerned with whether people understand me or not because I understand myself. 

I also find it strange that people always want to assign emotional energy to what I say, as if it isn't acceptable or appropriate without it. But alas, that is what most people do. 

And they also assume that my lack of self-worth and self-esteem comes from people shying away from me. Like I am hopelessly dependent on being connected to and reassured by others. Am I supposed to be sorry that I'm not? 

I guess in the absence of being able to provide details, it appears that way. But unfortunately I am not allowed to provide details because they may be triggering and discourage people from seeking help. Who cares that it is my truth, right? And people ask me why I am so anti-dependent and find solace in being alone..... As if others couldn't possibly do me any harm because they are human like I am. 

Like I said. I'm not like most humans and I couldn't care less about being treated as if I am and being pitied because I am not. Some of us are born with wings, most of us are not and have their feet stuck in a hole in the ground. 

I guess this cage is where I have to stay for now, will my wings ever grow back and will I ever be able to fly, I highly doubt it in this world. And I'm not going to act as if there is nothing wrong with that. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I will be going now, as here clearly is not the place for me. Don't be concerned about whether you have made things worse for me, because that isn't your job or responsibility. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance