Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

johnf
New Contributor

Had to ring Lifeline this morning

Funny.  Many years ago I was a Lifeline Counsellor.  Great experience.

This morning, I had to ring the service to help with my suicidal thoughts.  The person I spoke to was terrific.

Bad time of the year for me.  Actually the last few months have been fairly tough.

Not too sure what is wrong with me.  If I was Spock, and look at my life logically, I am doing ok.

But, having big problems dealing with my depression and anxiety.  Real battle at the moment.

Probably does not help that we are coming to this festive season called Christmas.  I hate it.

Trying to work out how to move forward.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Had to ring Lifeline this morning

Hey @johnf, sorry to hear you've been having a rough time lately and are struggling with suicidal thoughts. I'm glad though that you had the insight to telephone Lifeline for some telephone counselling and I am also glad you had a great experience with the service. I think at this time of the year, it can be particularly difficult for some people with all the festivities and silly season upon us. Remember, it is okay not to be okay. 

I hear what you are saying about Christmas and was wondering if you were interested in joining in tomorrow night's Topic Tuesday entitled 'Is it Okay To Ignore Christmas'. Have a look at the topic, it has been highlighted on the lived experience forum's main page and please feel free to drop into the discussion tomorrow night. 

Have you talked to your GP about how you are currently feeling at all? It might be a good first point of call.

Thank you for replying.

My GP is aware of my situation.

Also seeing a social worker at the moment.

Looking forward to 2018.  Has to be better than 2017

@johnf - do you feel better after speaking to LifeLine? Sometimes that's all we need on a particularly bad day, someone to talk to and who will listen to us.

Hi @johnf,

I am a moderator of the SANE Forums. I'm glad you had a great experience working at Lifeline. I'm sure you would have helped so many people who were struggling, and that is something you ought to be proud of! Smiley Happy I'm sorry that you have been struggling with anxiety and depression - and suicidal thoughts today. As @Queenie said, it is great that you had the insight to call Lifeline, and it is even greater than you had a terrific experience (i.e., that someone listed as @utopia said). It is a bad time of the year for many people, and as @Queenie said, it is OK to not be OK at this time, and to say that 2017 was a tough year. Glad to hear that you have hope that 2018 will be brighter for you though! Smiley Happy

As @Queenie said you might like to join the discussion tomorrow for Topic Tuesday. It can be accessed here: "Topic Tuesday // Is it okay to ignore Christmas? // 19 Dec, 7pm AEDT."  You may also be interested in these other threads about struggles at Christmas time: (1) "Coping with Christmas," by @greenspace; (2) "Christmas," by @BlueBay; (3) "Flying solo this Christmas?," by one of our Community Managers, @NikNik.

You also may be interested in this thread - "Let's make Christmas fun" by @Phoenix_Rising - which is a space for forumites who typically struggle at Christmas time to attempt to make Christmas enjoyable.

I hope these resources help, and that you continue to reach out on the forums if you need! Smiley Happy

Kindest,

Amour_Et_Psyché

Hi @johnf and welcome to the forums .... 👋

@johnf I feel your pain. I have had to ring lifeline almost everyday for the last few weeks.

I can relate to the feeling that logically things seem to be looking up. Although I feel some pressure from those around me who are happy and celebrating seeing me get to a safer space and getting over some big hurdles. 

I don't know why my anxiety and depression refuse to listen to my logical brain and it sounds like you have a similar perspective.

This thread might interest you .... it talks about the "different brains".

See what you think .....

@Awpgirl @johnf

Oh whoops .... !!

Here’s the link I forgot to include in my previous post @Awpgirl @johnf ......

You will find @Phoenix_Rising relating to herself as a turtle, as she hides away in her “shell” when the going gets too tough .... and she is a straight-shooter ..... says what she thinks without mincing her words.

You will find forumites engaging in other distraction adventures, shall we say, so please ask about anything you don’t understand or find confusing.

@CheerBear is an ace crocheter and has created a pocket-sized family of critters to take in her handbag and pocket as a way of connecting with friends on the forum, for instance.

See how you go, if you’re interested.

Let’s Do Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance