Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: I think I've been massively triggered!

Thank you @Former-Member. He's always the source of a lot of mental anguish. For some reason, he knows and plays upon that fact too. I guess in some ways, I am still that broken hearted 12-year-old girl.

@Queenie - he has been this way for so long now. I doubt he is going to change. As hard as it is, you have to stop expecting him to be that 'dad' from your early years. He is no longer that man.
It may be time to finally mourn for the loss of your dad.
I'm sorry I can't tell you what you want to hear.
Be gentle with yourself @Queenie. You deserve more than you've been given.

@Queenie I am sorry to hear you are grieving so very deeply for your dad as he used to be. I can very much relate to the agony of that loss. I would like to say that it gets better in time, but to be honest, it hasn't for me - and it has been twenty years. I will love the man that I perceive as my dad until the day I die. I wish I had something more useful to say, but I don't. All I can tell you is that I hear you. Smiley Sad

I once heard from a psychologist that the true definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I guess that means I am crackers, totally lost it. I know in my heart of hearts, he'll never change. I wish he would make up his mind. You see, he dangles that carrot of love and acceptance in front of me obviously knowing I'll take the bait. He says when he makes all these perverted plans that he cares about me and stupidly I fall for it each time, hoping it will be different (it never is). 

You are right @utopia, he won't change really. I've got to stop hoping that he will have a change of heart, when he hasn't for 26 years. I guess I've got to just let him go, as much as it hurts. I've been through too many years of therapy trying to process the final loss of family. I have no brother (he's dead), no mother (she's dead). I guess to my Father, I died a long time ago (or at least that's how I am treated).

No, it doesn't get any easier or better @Phoenix_Rising. My Mrs is refusing to have much to do with me because she believes I need to just block him so he can't call or text me (give him a taste of my life). The only reason I keep in contact is because he's all I have from my side of the family. It's just hard, especially at this time of year when everyone is playing happy families). 

@Queenie. I imagine it is easier to grieve over the death of a family member, than it is to grieve over one who is still alive. As there is always that expectation.
You are in a tough situation.
But you're not crackers. We all at times do the same thing hoping for a different outcome. It's called hope and dreams. They are painful to lose.

That they are indeed @utopia

I think I'm going to go offline for the rest of tonight. I need to process this in my stupid old head, hammer it in so it will stay (so to speak). Listening to random playlists on youtube to muffle my tears isn't helping either... it keeps on playing either James Blunt, Ed Sheeran or Christmas carols (I have no idea why the carols as I never searched them). 

Goodnight all and thank you for all your replies. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance