Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Long term affordable therapy

@Former-Member My experiences happened when I was a child too. Assuming you are in NSW (I can't remember where you are!) and the crimes happened in NSW, then yes, my understanding is that you would be eligible. I only learnt about the program when I went to the Royal Commission. It seems to not be well advertised. You can find out about it here: http://www.victimsservices.justice.nsw.gov.au/Pages/vss/vs_counselling/vs_counselling-acs-about.aspx

The way it works is that you get approved for an initial 10 sessions and then the counsellor has to keep submitting very brief reports to get further sessions. 

When you have had your 10 sessions, you can get a review from your gp and get an epc for another 5.

I really need fortnightly sessions, but cant afford them, so we try spreading them out to three weeks. She then charges me $125 a session when ive used up the free ones.

Not ideal by any means. Your psychologist should be able to give you more information.

Hi Chris,

I find the whole process 'Not ideal' lol but I guess you just have to make the best of what you can get. I was hoping there was something out there that I just wasn't aware of but it seems so many people are in the same position as me.

Hi,

I'm not sure where you are located but have you tried your local government Community Mental Health Service?? If you have a Health Care or Disability card you should be eligible. I know they have wait lists which is a pain in the bum and you don't have a lot of control who you are with, but I was lucky I like the lady I was assigned to and i've been seeing her weekly/fortnightly over a 2 year period at no cost.

@lanae976 WOW!
I was in the public system for a while and I was NEVER offered therapy. Not once!
I'm shocked about how difficult the whole system is to navigate and use.
Rant rant rant rant about our country's mental health system.

I've never been able to get offered free therapy sessions I've always had to pay a gap of $80 even with the so called government free ones. I guess it depends on the therapist.

However the results and effectiveness of therapy differ for each person.

Hi @Blue_Skies ..everone who has posted you replies today have provided great information... the mental health plan with 10 sessions and ataps further 5 is a good option...also trying community centres is definately worth a try...im not sure where u are located but in Sydney we have the Black Dog institute that has students in their final year of training that my old phsycologist organised for me to see when our sessions ran out...and she kept checking in with them to make sure they were on top of everything..
I know the whole student thing can be a bit offputting but i found that they were keen to listen and had alot of helpful input as everything they have learnt was fresh in their minds..and i guess it also depends on who you get as to what life experiences they bring to the table...its been a couple of years since i did this so hopfully they still do this or i am barking up the wrong tree..🐶...and if your not in sydney i would like to think that each state has their own version of the institute...also you could try the universities that train people to work in mental health...i know UNSW often advertise for participants with various MI diagnosies...lol...is that the right word...diagnosesess..no thats not right 😂 and i guess it will also depend on accesability for you...like im sure you dont want to travel for hours to get therapy...the plus is they are always free of charge...the downside is that it is not consistent from year to year as the students graduate and the next group of students come along ..you said you were looking for long term so maybe these options arent for you but thought i would let you know about them anyway...maybe MH plan and ataps would be a better fit for you...u can always ignore my suggestions if they are not relevant to you 😊good luck...let me know how you go
catgirl🐾

Hi @Blue_Skies and @catgirl @Former-Member @Former-Member @lanae976 @Phoenix_Rising

Before my life-circumstances improved a few years back I would ring Life Line and be told about these Medicare funded sessions and it seems no one could hear me say I couldn't afford the differences between what the psychologist charged and Medicare supported us with - now I can - but still I find that although it doesn't really affect me anymore - I rarely need to see a therapist - but still - 10 sessions a year doesn't seem to me to be enough for the people with the depth of issues I read here - and it is an unfair system trying to look good but it is not financially viable - and for this I am truly sorry

It oftens seems to me that we - that is anyone - is always on the wrong side of the money - and Mental Health professionals are required but until my life improved 10 sessions a year would not have been enough - it seems not enough for anyone - and yet considering that when I go to my doctor for a physical issue and I need to go often for medical reasons - after a certain amount of visits I find I am paying around $5.00 per visit and yes - easy to afford -

How about medical insurance also - for a psychologist - extras cover only paid around $40,00 which for people out of work through illness is not affordable - even if they are able to pay medical insurance

I could go on what it cost for an arthroscopy - far more than I expected - so even for physical issues we are paying a lot for the better path of private cover and getting the job dont "next week" - which sounded really good that day - or being in the public system and waiting so long - eg - when I was in the public system it was 9 months before I saw a surgeon for torn shoulder tendons and my shoulder got better in the next few weeks after the surgery so I opted out 

I will leave My-Aged-Care for another argument on another day but yes - there is another whole other story there

So yes @Blue_Skies - this is a tough season for so many people - and yes - I was told a Seniors Card could help me out but uh uh no - you have to spend money to get anything out of a seniors card

It's really tough peeps - and no one is imagining how tough - it just is - unless we have a good income somewhere

I am so sorry about that - for all of us

Dec

@Owlunar ..well said..the system both MH and physical health is broken...and sooo many peole are suffering from it..makes me SAD ANGRY DEPRESSED ... i think i am pretty lucky though i have a phsyciatrist who bulk bills and my phsycologist is with community mental health so is free and i get to see her once a week..i'm also a patient at the public hospital for my physical issues so i incur no costs there...also my gp who has to coordinate all this bulk bills..i know i am one of the lucky ones..and i feel frustrated when i read here that people are going without treatment because they cant afford it..so wrong..DO YOU HEAR ME GOVERNMENT...get your SHIT together and help people 😠😠😠😠
catgirl🐾

Hi @catgirl

I am able to cope well enough financially now but for so long I could not and wonder a great deal about the Government and whether those concerned really think about the deficit or the people - wow - I know what it's like to finish the week eating canned fruit for dinner and I don't have expensive habits

But my life changed - and I know I am fortunate

But when the time comes I will be finding out about the Federal My-Aged-Care Package System - I think a lot of people will suffer when that starts - the Government spreads care for the disadvantaged out too thin - but I am saving my soap-box act until I know more - 

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance