Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lemonjuice
Senior Contributor

My life as a worn out shoe.

My nephew graduated from highschool today. Brought over his girlfriend. If you want to know what my life has been like for the last 18 years with my nephew.... he went up to his room and she and I were chatting on the couch. Her phone beeped and it was him asking her to go upstairs. I told her it was fine, to go, and she turned to me and said no, not yet. Then she said, "I really don't know how you have coped with him. He just drains the life out of you." He is moody, gaslights, explodes over the smallest things, puts you in double-binds, it's exhausting.  He can go from being the most loving and sensitive person to the most abusive, narcissistic and explosive person.

17 years of taking care of my father who had multiple strokes and died 7 years ago.

7 looking after my mother, since my father's death, though, I was looking after both of them for the 17 years.

22 years raised my niece cause my sister was in an abusive relationship.

18 years raised my nephew, for the same reason.

All done on a pension and with no help and while being used and abused.  No friends, no partner, no children of my own, no work, nothing of my own.  

I'm tired.  

6 REPLIES 6

Re: My life as a worn out shoe.

Wow @Lemonjuice I take my hat off to those who have cared or continue to care for others in their lives. No wonder you are tired! Especially since you are caring for a nephew like that, you don't deserve that treatment at all! 

I am sorry but people who are caring and sensitive one moment and a narcissist the next really boil my blood. Often it is the vulerable who ends up looking after them, much to their own detriment. Just makes me angry, it really does!

I hope you can continue to be kind to yourself my friend, even if it is just something simple like a long hot bath or shower. Of course continue to reach out here on the forums too, we're here to listen and to support.

It's keeping me sane...ok, alive. Thanks.

Hi @Lemonjuice just wanted to say I feel for you. It sounds exhausting. Take care.

My niece and nephew have run out of money, so they are borrowing for me till Thursday...I have about $150 to my name and only cause I haven't paid the bank loan.  Mum is p'd cause I gave them money, though she gives them money too.  One is 22 and the other just left highschool.  Problem is that if I don't, they don't have money to eat or pay petrol to get to work.  It's breaking me.  I have been studying today and all I can think about this money issue.  I thought I might be able to make some money by making youtube videos on cooking, gardening, etc, and attach a paypal account for donations.  I tried this afternoon but I feel so worn out that I couldn't make sense of it and gave up.  I went downstairs to sit next to mum, look at a bit of tv and she started again with her bitchiness about the kids, me, her life, etc.  I can't take much more.  It's my bday today and all I can think is I want to be dead.  I am dragging myself through every minute cause every fibre in my body wants me to leave and suicide.  It's not anyone's fault, it's totally me.  I'm a coward, I should be stronger, go out for work, stand up for myself, so it's all on me.

Hi @Lemonjuice,

I am sending you an email now to check in.

- Flipper

Hi, don't bother, I am not going to do anything at this time, I am trapped
at home and there's lightening outside. It's fine.
Lj
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance