Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Not Coping

No worries @Birdofparadise8 🙂🌺

Yes, if you feel comfortable to do so, I think have a quick word with your psych about it, and maybe he’s got some ideas 🙂🌺

I think @Jynx ’s analogy about the overly sensitive smoke alarm is a really apt one in this situation dearest, and I also can relate to that, so please know you’re not alone in feeling big reactions to things 🙂🌺

We have your back and hold space for you 💜

@Birdofparadise8 nah I’m good

Re: Taking a Break

Too much reading

Yeah, I will @PinkFlamingo 

Yes, it was very good. How do I fix it, though?

I shouldn't have reacted so extremely to this. 

Okay sure thing then @ArraDreaming 

Is enkeli leaving
Jynx
Peer Support Worker

@Birdofparadise8 wrote:

How do I stop my brain from screaming 'fire.' 

Everyone is different so there's not one way to 'fix' it, but I think a lot of it is related to teaching the stress response to chill out. We're experiential learners to the only way to learn that a triggering event is actually not a threat to our survival is to repeatedly expose ourselves to the trigger and learn how to manage the resulting stress response with self-soothing. But we need to be in a safe space to be able to do so. Have a look into Exposure Therapy if you wanna know more. You could also potentially benefit from reading the book The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk - cos it's not just about the mind, but about our physical responses as well.

Anywho, I'm off for tonight! Hope you have a restful night hun. Don't be too hard on yourself! This stuff takes time. 

She is having a break with family stuff @ArraDreaming 

Right okay, all back to self-soothing @Jynx 

I'll have a look at the book. Thank you. 

Yeah, all good. I'd better go now, too. 

I better go now @PinkFlamingo 

Thank you for chatting. I'll reply tomorrow morning. 

Well, I think maybe that’s the million dollar question @Birdofparadise8 🙂🌺

How do we fix any of these things that we have going on? 🤗🌺

Some components that contribute to getting better/building resilience and moving through recovery are time, reflection, speaking to others and hearing their stories too, acceptance, being comfortable in our own selves, working with health professionals, and time (worth saying twice! 😉). 
Ive been trying for some time to get better at not taking things to heart, and I’m a lot better given lots of reflection (trying to see things objectively and asking people I trust for their points on the situation) and time. 
I know this isn’t a quick fix answer, and I’m sorry I don’t have one, however I hope there is something here that is useful in some way 🙂🌺🫂

Ok dearest @Birdofparadise8 🙂🌺

I hope you get some good sleep, and catch you tomorrow. 🫂🌺

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance