Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

Possibly going to hospital and super scared.

Hi so about 6 weeks ago just after i got out of hospital i was reffered to a private hospital far from my home and and they called today to say they have a bed and it could be in the next few days that i go. i am super scared i had almost forgotten about it or at least i thought they had forgotten about me. now i dont know what to do. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Possibly going to hospital and super scared.

Hi @Eden1919

It's ok to be scared. Why did they suggest that private hospital? Were you admitted to a public hospital before? I've never been to a public hospital, but the private hospitals where I have been are more organised "retreats". You have your routines and groups, meal times, meds... and where I've been the setting was nice, the rooms comfy and it wasn't really scary - even though I was really scared too the first time. It's not like a hospital - I have been to hospital, but to the general ward and I always find them cold and horrible.

You've written here lately about how you feel and in a private hospital I find I just get more intensive care when I need it. I see my psychiatrist more often when I'm in hospital, I can talk to the psychologists and nurses and also other patients can make all the difference. I find I'm not so alone and I have made good friends in private hospital.

What are you scared about? Can you talk to someone about what scares you?

@Former-Member Yes i was in a public hospital before and it is a long story but anyway i have been to one private hospital before but this one is a different one and i have never been there before so i have no idea how they work. i am scared about a lot of things and mostly about what the doctors will do/say i am just i have a lot going on and i am scared that going will ruin things. 

Hi @Eden1919

Only you can decide what is best for yourself. It is voluntarily to go to a private hospital. I changed private hospital once too and the second one was a lot further away from home. It was good in a way that I was really focussed on myself for a while and had very little visitors.

When you say you will ruin things, is this in your life in general? I found sometimes that a stay in hospital was just not what I wanted or needed, but the times I went, I knew I had to go, because I was really unwell or later I knew I would be really unwell if I didn't intervene. So I try to weigh up the consequences in my life and the consequences to my mental health. But I've learnt that if I don't look after my mental health, eventually it will all go to shits anyway.

When you say you are scared of what the doctors will do or say, what do you mean? They cannot do anything to you without your consent. I was scared for a long time that people would lock me away and throw away the key if I opened up to them, but I'm still here, they let me go again. For me it's more now that I say if I cannot tell my psychiatrist, who else am I supposed to tell?

Please keep in mind that this is your choice. Think about what you want to do. Can you visit the clinic just to have a look? Can you talk to someone about your concerns?

I am going tomorrow i cant talk to anyoone now i am just very scared and i just feel the need to run away like everything in my head is telling me this is bad but people around me are telling me to go. ugh  dont know i am going now and it is done but i am just very scared.  

Hi @Eden1919

You have so much courage - it's great that you're pushing through the fear to take this step. 

There are a few members who have talked about their private hospital stays. Maybe reading some of their threads will help?

Hospital

Hello from hospital

@BlueBay has also talked about her hospital experiences (sorry Bluebay, I  couldn't find the exact posts)

I think a lot of people feel the way you do before they go to hospital Eden, but I hear a lot of good feedback, particularly about private hospitals.

Take care!

Hi @Eden1919

I have been into a private mental health hospital quite a few times over the years.  And I am on a wiating list right now due to go into again any time, just waiting for a phone call.

I was in a public hospital (short stay mental health unit) for one night last week and it is completely different to a private hospital.

Pls don't be scared, you will be fine.  It does take a little while to get used to everything, but once you are settled in you will be okay.  You will have a nurse probably assigned to you so you can ask questions or if you are concerned about something you can speak to the staff member.

I cannot complain at all about my private hospital.  I have always had great treatment.

I do always feel anxoius about going in, even this time too, I feel anxious.  But i know that after a little while I will be okay.  I think it's just natural to feel a bit of anxiety.

Pls take care, I hope you get looked after and find your hospital stay a positive one.

If you need to chat more pls don't hesitate, happy to chat more.

BB xxoo

@BlueBay thanks i am trying to relax but i am very nervous i dont know what they will say but everything is starting to feel weird what if they think i am just making everything up what if they hate me what if i dont even know i am just really worried. 

Hi @Eden1919

You probably will get some tips to help in life and a better sense of safety and support.

Its a journey and you do have choices about what you take on and staff should be receptive to your needs.

Good Luck with it.

Smiley Happy

@Eden1919

Pls don't be scared, you will be okay.  Believe me I have been in hospital before.  I always feel a little anxious before going in but once I am there I am always treated with the best support staff.  The nurses are caring and lovely.  You aren't making anything up, it's true whatever you are going through they will believe you.  

I need to go to my GP soon and then my psychologist but I wanted to say pls don't worry.

I will check in on you later in between appointments if I get a chance.

BB xxxooo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance