Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Ways to cope

I dont feel great today at all i am trying mindfulness and distractions and stuff but it isnt working very well. 

Have you spoken to anyone this morning about how you're feeling? Sounds like you're doing the work and trying to keep yourself distracted but when the feelings are so accute it's really challenging. Lifeline and other resources are out there and are ideal when you feel you need a bit of support or an outlet. Is it worth giving them a call and having a chat?

sadly i have tried many helplines before many different times and they never seem to help some have even made things worse so i am not exactly looking to speak to them again soon. 

Hi Eden,

Sorry to hear that. How you finding things today?

Hi @Needcoffee I am not sure if anyone has done this yet but just in case - I'd like to welcome you to the forum Smiley Sad

I can see that you have posted several times already and you seem to be able to find your way around.

I hope you find it a safe and empathetic environment where you can be heard and supported.

If you have any questions - just ask - there will be many members here who are able to help.

Once again - Welcome @Needcoffee Heart

Hi @Zoe7,

Many thanks for the welcome.

Yes as you say the forum is peopled by such caring, wonderful people.

All the best,

NC

Hi @Eden1919 sorry for the late reply been unwell myself
What have you found works for you in the past? Or is there anything you'd like to try to see if it help s you?

Hi @Needcoffee i too would like to welcome you to thr forums
Former-Member
Not applicable

-

-

Hi Eden

A few years ago things were not good and I was very paranoid.  It was terrifying.

Now, looking back on it all, I realise the medication I was on had a really negative effect on me and it made me very paranoid.  I'm not sure if you are on any medications but some are not good and can actually cause paranoia and hallucinations.  Please talk to your doctor about this as soon as you can.

In terms of coping skills and what helped me most during that time was:

• Keeping the windows and curtains open and letting in as much light to my house as possible
  • Not being in the dark and having lots of lights on
  • Having lots of noise - tv on, radio on, music on
  • Having people I trusted nearby 
  • Checking everything in the house (cupboard, under beds) during the daylight to make there was nothing there
  • I put up string and wire so I could see if something had gotten through 
  • Sleeping with security nearby (baseball bat, spray) - this made me feel safer if someone tried to get me
  • Having good security in the house (locks on doors and windows etc)

At that time, there were other issues about my safety and threats had been made against me by people so i had genuine reasons to feel frightened and scared, but the medication blew it all out of proportion.

thanks everyone i am still very paranoid i am also stressed by uni so i know that isnt helping but i cant get rid of that stress because it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. i am a mess and i spent all night last night crying and i am so tired of this i am hiding right now because it makes me feel safer but truly i dont feel safe anywhere. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance