Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

amber22
Peer Support Worker

Topic Tuesday// Living with Bipolar // Tuesday 26th March 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

Join us on the 26th of March to explore the impacts of living with bipolar on areas of life, such as work and parenting, together with one of SANEs Peer Ambassadors. 

TT March 24.png

The event start times across Australia are below:

WA: 2:30pm 
NT: 4:00pm

SA: 5:00pm 

QLD: 4:30pm

NSW, ACT, VIC & TAS: 5:30pm 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below and we will tag you 30 minutes before the event starts. 

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays.

Hope to see you there in the chat on the night!

50 REPLIES 50

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living with Bipolar // Tuesday 26th March 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

Hey everyone!   

The discussion will be kicking off in 10-15 minutes on this thread! To come along please refresh this page at 5:30pm and join the conversation.  

In this discussion we will be talking about:   

• Navigating working with Bipolar  
  • How to support loved ones with Bipolar 
  • Bipolar medication journey  

We can’t wait to see you there at 5:30pm!   

Tagging those that have interacted with the post/ or that are online right now and might like to join the discussion: @Spring1983 @Acanthiza @MermaidHair @John9 @Shaz51 @MummaLion @Captain24 @MG_bp2 @Enewt95 @JulieNorris @Xena98 @Sanecan @Bridge1 @Vanya @Bill16 @Birdofparadise8 @Bow @Flowerlove22 @TAB @Snowie @D1ng0 @Skyaa @Blackbird11 @Eve7 @Krishna @Meowmy @PeppyPatti @SmilingGecko @StuF @chibam @creative_writer @Rosie01 

Re: Topic Tuesday// Living with Bipolar // Tuesday 26th March 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

We would like to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the various lands across Australia we are all joining this discussion from. We pay deep respect to the Elders of those Countries, past and present, and we further extend that respect to any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people with us tonight, reading along, or reading back.

Tonight we are joined by our special guest and one of SANE’s Peer Ambassadors @EdwardBlossom 

We also would love to hear from our community what brings you to the discussion tonight and anything you may be particularly hoping to get out of the discussion (I.e.  if there is a question you have), or, if you would like, we also encourage you to share a self-care plan for after we wrap up the discussion this evening. 

HI, I am a female in her late 40’s living with bipolar disorder.

My diagnosis came late in life and was a complete shock. Since being diagnosed, I have had to change my thinking on everything from career to parenting to my cynicism.

I am also one of four siblings and three of the four have bipolar disorder. So I am very interested in research into genetic influences on bipolar disorder.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago, I’m in my 40’s so I was a late diagnosis aswell

Let's get started with our first question of the discussion! 

What does Bipolar look like for you?

@EdwardBlossom 

Q: What does Bipolar look like for you?

Bipolar is a huge part of my life. When I was first diagnosed, I wanted to believe it was something that I would “get over” or I could manage it without having to really pay attention to it. I learnt from painful experience this is not the case!

Sometimes I find it quite overwhelming how many parts of my life are affected by bipolar. All the typically big chunky life things – work, parenting, relationships. But also, smaller things, like how well/not well I can tolerate noisy environments. This was never a problem for me previously but now cannot bear to be around noise (I mean normal levels of noise like a crowded restaurant). I have had to accept that bipolar is a chronic condition and it needs to be treated as such.

I don’t let bipolar define me or my life but I do accept that I cannot be a passive participant in managing it. The ups and downs of bipolar is an interesting thing to think about because the very nature of the condition is ups and downs! 🙂 The downs are hard – depression, suicidal ideation. But the ups can also be dangerous eg. Mania, hypersexuality, other risky behaviours etc

I thought it was something simple @EdwardBlossom. I thought the diagnosis would be helpful and then it could be ‘fixed’. Since the diagnosis I have noticed a few things too that has changed. 

Since they have been trying to get the right medication sorted I’ve found my mood swings even worse unless it’s because I now know what it is. I don’t know

@Captain24 

I thought the same re a 'fix'. For a long time. Years even. I was so sure there would be a fix and I could put it all behind me.

The diagnosis is a double-edged sword for me. It explained moods/behaviours but at first it made me hypervigilant and tying every little mood shift to bipolar disorder. I had to learn that sometimes its not bipolar - it’s that my kids are just being annoying!

Getting the medication balance is really hard and I found it made things worse before they got better. I have been on the same medication mix for over a year and it has been a huge help. Hang in there.

Onto our next question of the evening now!

What has your journey been like regarding medication and Bipolar? 

@EdwardBlossom 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance