Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Not coping with severe depression

@Jayneinpain

If you could pick anywhere in the world to live, which place would you consider and why?

@Leventia

Thank you for replying so promptly. 

I am longer able to work full time. There have been a few things being discussed recently but I try to hold on to the hope that the right thing will turn up at the right time. I have had a few different careers but the one i love the most was as an adult lteracy teacher to adults. Very rewarding.

What makes me happy - beautiful water views - I love the way the colours change as the day progresses, picnics with a friend, arts and crafts, a good movie that makes me think.

Favourite food is easy - seafood in just about any form except raw!

Maths was by far my favourite subject. Back in my day we did commerce not economics and i enjoyed that too.

I will wait and see if you send through your own set of questions.  Woman Happy

I moved to my current address in May this year and I am very happy with the choice. It is a beautiful island (and I'm probably not supposed to say more for privacy rules). I once looked to moving to the Shetland Islands off Scotland. Very beautiful and deserted.

How about you?

My post should have read "I am NO longer able to work full time. Sorry

@Jayneinpain

I wasn't at all surprised to hear that you have previously worked as a teacher. Your writing as well as the way you express yourself is beautiful and brilliant. I'm glad to hear maths was your favourite subject as well. Can you recall most of what you learnt? I unfortunately have forgotten a large portion of it. I could probably refresh my memory and relearn it with minimal effort though.

I really enjoy the activities you listed and find them enjoyable as well. I find movies with twists and turns which make you think fascinating. It's the principle reason why I rnenj viewing good documentaries as well. 

I haven't been fortunate enough to have lived in a house with water views yet. I did though previously live at a house which was just a couple of minutes away from the beach. I used to go for walks quite regularly at the beach while simultaneously enjoying and making the most of the view's

It's fantastic to hear that you are happy with your current location. My choice would be an island in Greece called Zante. I loved everything about it. Climate was just amazing and some of the beaches just breathtaking.

@Leventia

Thank you for your compliments on my writing. I do remember far too much of my high school maths. However, I must say I have completely forgotten how to solve simultaneous equations but i don't think my life is any poorer for that. I, also, enjoy politics and i did a subject in politics through UNE earlier this year. Trimester 3 starts there next week and I haven't enrolled yet. My depression seemed to be telling me it was a waste of time.

I only have water glimpses from my house. It is only a rental. Being an island, the water is never far away. We have such a huge variety of bays, rivers, exposed beaches and the most amazing views. It a back the front way, it is the abundant beauty here that contributes to my depression. I look at these amazing vistas and just want to be able to share them with someone. To stand there, beside someone special and say, "Look at those colours".

@Leventia

Zante sounds beautiful. The waters around Greece aways look so beautiful.

Are you not brave enough for the Shetland Islands? Three months of the year they are completely cut off and some years that can extend to five months!

I just did a quick search of the Shetlands islands and was completely blown away. My lack of overseas travel means my knowledge of some places is limited. I think I would adjust to living there quite easily. It's remoteness and peacefulness are definitely positives. The scenery is quite stunning as well.

@Leventia

Until the opportunity arises for you to find out where i live, I will say it, too, is peaceful and stunning and has some remote aspects. While I found my first winter here longer than expected, we were not completely isolated and there were no negative temperatures or even frosts. 

I need to head to bed shortly. I would like to thank you whole heartedly for our discussions today/tonight. When I reflect I how i felt this afternoon when we first started writing and how I feel now, i can say this has been better than any antidepressant i have ever tried. I hope your load is a little lighter for having shared with someone who does understand and can, and will, speak honestly. 

Good night. I hope we get to speak again (soon?) Woman Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance